-The body's stress management system (side-note: if you were born in the last 80 years, you are over-stressed in many ways. Its ok, I am too and am work to reduce it daily).
-The body's recovery and regeneration system, it happens sequentially (one thing affects the next, cannot skip steps).
-The reset point for the circadian rhythm, aka the daily biological clock. This may be the most important factor.
-The most powerful anti-inflammatory EVER, its your nightly disease prevention and inflammation retardant.
-The single most anabolic activity there is for growth and regeneration.
-One of the best methods of prevention for diabetes and further on, metabolic syndrome.
-A documented prevention for breast/uterine cancers in women.
-A documented prevention for prostate/testicular cancers in men.
-8-10 hours of "lights out pass out" uninterrupted, don't move an inch, no bathroom breaks, wake up with the unwavering desire to achieve and conquer regardless of opinions or circumstances life medicine.
-If you one of your goals is to "look good nekkid," you best sleep like a baby at the, pun-intended, "flick of a switch"
Now with that said.
I typically try to avoid sweeping blanket (harhar) statements. However in the nature of changing things up, if you learn one thing today, let it be these next two sentences...
In its presence, PERFECT SLEEP is the keystone catalyst for the rise and drive to achievement and domination of whatever your heart's innermost desires may be.
The absence of PERFECT SLEEP is the inception and enabling of the degradation and fall of your ability to achieve, maintain, gain and obtain what is rightfully yours, a life worth living.
So we can agree its important yes? Safe assumption, A+.
In 2012 the sleep drug Ambien profited $2,000,000,000 and 5 Hour Energy sold over $1,000,000,000. Clearly something is going on here, Americans cannot sleep and we don't have energy for the day, at least for five to ten hours of it. And we show it with our wallets. Directly sleep-loss burdens the country over $50 billion in lost hours of work and the medical system. Indirectly its ten times that amount in lost productivity, car wrecks etc.
So we're "playing catch-up"
Where'd we go wrong?
We lost the night, and heres how you take back control!
The top four important things when it comes to (re-)establishing Perfect Sleep are:
1. COMPLETELY Dark Out Room
2. Darker Room
3. Darkest Room
4. All of the above, X2
Light at night>cortisol>muscle breakdown>insulin>fat gain>>>metabollic syndrome>big waste>bigger bill$$
Ameer Rosic, RHN explains a study in which researchers wanted to know how much light will wake someone up & what skin needs to be exposed. They found that a laser pointer red dot behind the knee is enough to wake the body up from a deep sleep. Talk about sensitive jeez! The body has photoreceptors that perceive light and through a series of chemical reactions the adrenal glands secrete the hormone cortisol and the pituitary secretes ACTH causing you to arise. This is a natural response process to the environment. But when the sun goes down, so should you. Coach Poliquin once told me that the master control hormone is cortisol. When you perform and adrenal stress test, typically done salivary, you are measuring the difference between salivary cortisol and dhea-s (often referred to as the mother of all androgens.
If you're sleep is fouled then the entire circadian rhythm is thrown for a loop, and it is simply a matter of time until you will have to pay the piper with your energy, time, and wallet! Scare tactics aside but the last stage of this adrenal fatigue is death. In a consult with world class coach and author of "The Strength Code" found on Amazon, Eric Falstrault told me that above all respect the adrenals. You will always be thankful for it in the end.
If you already completely black your room out and are further looking for deeper sleep and better restoration.
Free things that help:
1. Do 45' of static stretching before hitting the hay.
2. Watch the sunset. Try and not yawn when this happens, its guaranteed to happen. You have photo receptors in your eyes and skin that respond to the changes of the color as dusk happens. This sends many chemical messages throughout your body that its time to shutdown.
3. Be grateful. Use a grateful log and write three things you currently have and are grateful for and three that you want to see come to fruition in the future. One of my favorites by far!
4. Move the majority of your carbohydrate consumption to the last two meals of the day. Carbs>Insulin>Serotonin>Melatonin.
5. Turn off the breaker to your room or house, you'll actually make money with this one ('Penny Earned et al). If there is electricity within arms reach of your head this will completely suppress the pineal gland, referred to as the body's third eye, from secreting melatonin. If you over-radiate and over expose yourself to light at the wrong times the pineal gland will become hard and calcified which is useless to the body.
1. If you are in a fat loss cycle and are controlling your carbohydrate consumption & wake up 1-4hours after going to sleep, invest in a supplement called U-CAN. Its a modified GMO-free corn starch that doesn't cause insulin spikes, originally created for a child that suffered from terrible reactive hypoglycemia. Many of us, myself included, wake up from reactive hypoglycemia due to low carb dieting, this stuff was a game changer for me. If you're paleo and have this problem, it could really help. Take 25-30grams 45 minutes before bed.
2. Magnesium. Use many chelates. I prefer a Uber Mag & Zen Mag from the Poliquin line. Magnesium is the mineral for insulin sensitivity (leanness) and is a very calming mineral. As the 3rd most abundant mineral in the body, when you don't have adequate amounts you're stressed. Also the liver uses magnesium for a lot of phase one detoxification, treat your liver well. Take 2-4grams, sex dependent, spread out through the day in multiple exposures.
3. Arginine, unless you have cold sores or problems with a herpes infection l-arginine will boost growth hormone 100-300%. take 1-3grams 45' before bed.
4. Stack all three of the previous supplements for the best results.
5. Buy a sunrise alarm clock that runs on batteries, amazon will help here. Light in the morning at the right time is what will tell the body to start creating cortisol and is the other half to watching the sunset.
NOW GET OUT THERE AND PASS OUT :)
In the best of health and strength,
I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!